Thursday, September 01, 2005

the funk of 40,000 years

so i've been playing through Tony Miles' "It's Only Me" and I'm starting to become a fan of the "English Defense" 1.c4 b6 particularly in his game v. Olafsson which started 1.c4 b6 2.Nc3 e6 3.d4 Bb4 4.e3 Bb7 5.Nge2 f5 which is an improvement over the nimzo i think. i may give it a go...i'm influenced by the books i'm reading (i'm the highly suggestable type) and i think Miles is a good person to get influenced by...he's so strong inthe middlegame and endgame. i'm at all all-time high at ICC while i'm reading this, i'm not sure that's a coincedence. the last time i read a good middlegame book, it was Zurich 1953 by Bronstein and my play improved, if not my rating. i'm not sure whether i'm gonna do Kramnik : LIfe and Games or My System next...i've been holding off on My System, but I think i'm gonna do it.

No comments: